Saturday, January 19, 2019

Down The Mountain

I went hiking with a dear friend this morning. I had a blast climbing up the mountain. It was hard work, but it was worth it. Climbing up works your body, it challenges you to keep reaching forward, looking at what's to come. Sitting at the mountaintop you can rest in knowing you have accomplished something amazing, you have witnessed something beautiful. The hard part begins when you have to climb down, it's hard on your mind instead of your body. It's the fear of falling.

I think a lot of my life has felt like climbing up a mountain. I kept putting one foot in front of the other, and when the terrain was too steep I would use my hands and crawl. The rocks ahead of me were leveraged to pull myself up, using the future as reassurance as I leave the rest behind.

And it's been incredible. I have had my mountaintop experiences, I have seen and felt things that I will never be able to put words to. I have known all of the light and beauty that exists at the peek of life.

Lately though, I've been climbing down the mountain. That's the painful part. Constantly on the edge of falling. Knowing one wrong step means a painful tumble. Going down the mountain requires bravery.

It's worth it thought. I've realized I can't begin climbing another mountain until I am willing to reach the bottom of this one.

The mountaintop is the most beautiful point, but it is not the most full. Because at the top you realize there is such a long way down, you have so much to lose. It is only when you reach the bottom and look up at all you've been through, the strength of climbing and the courage of falling, then you know that you have conquered the mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment