Monday, December 24, 2018

The Most Human of Holidays

I have such a deep love for the Christmas season, I always have. I have a collection of ugly Christmas sweaters, I know where all the best Christmas lights are, and most Christmas songs will make me cry if I listen to them enough.

But lately Christmas has taken on an entirely new depth of meaning for me.

It has become less about cheer and more about chaos...
Less about expectancy and more about defying expectations...
Less about holiness and more about humanity...

There is a certain absurdity and grittiness to the Christmas story. The world expected a messiah who was a warrior, they expected prestige and purity. Instead we were given a child from a nowhere town, born into a shameful engagement and fleeing an oppressive government. It’s messy, scary, and not at all what anyone expected it to be.

But isn’t that usually where holiness is found? In the places that we are most afraid of, where we come face to face with our brokenness, when no one else understands... that is where Christ is found.

Because Christ is so much more than a baby in a manger. Christ shows us that it is possible to be fully human and fully divine at the same time. Christ is evidence that God is found in all of the wild beauty of our humanity.

Christ is holy human.
Christ is wholly human.

My dear friends, I pray that in this Christmas season you find the holiness of your own humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment