Thursday, April 26, 2018

This Moment

Today was beautiful.
Not that it was out of the ordinary. It was actually a supremely "normal" day.

I rode my moto from my home in the city to the village where I work.

At work I communicated with our team on patterns for our sewing project.

During my lunch break I helped one of my coworkers and dear friends with her English homework.

I had a drink from the coffee lady on the corner.

I came home and had a delicious dinner that my roommate cooked.

And in these little moments, I was overwhelmed at how beautiful it all is.

How beautiful is it that I can sit with my friend and help her with her homework? Me speaking my native tongue, her learning a new skill. It's incredible that these mispronounced words can bring us ever closer.

How beautiful is it that I can be a part of the ethical fashion revolution? In cleaning out cabinets and communicating about dress pattern changes... I can see lives changed when the West holds an awareness of their brothers and sisters across the world who are making their clothes.

How beautiful is it to be known? To go visit the coffee lady on the corner, to wave to the tuktuk driver who naps on the street. To be greeted by familiar faces each day.

How beautiful is it to enjoy a meal with a kindred spirit? To enjoy time with my roommate, reminiscing about the past and planning for our futures.

I've been struggling lately with staying present. In this season of preparing to leave Cambodia, I'll become obsessed with planning for the future or mourning what will be lost. Because there is no moment quite like this one. Life will never again be what it is now. It's both beautiful and sad. It's the vastness of this moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment